I’ve never been one for New Year’s Resolutions, especially after seeing how easily they fall by the wayside by the time February rolls around. Its easy to say you want to change, and to even really want to, but to actually make change in your life can be incredibly hard. So this year, I’m making some resolutions, and I’m going to do my best, because that’s all I can do…
1. Accept the things I cannot change. I am all for my resolutions, but aspiring to the impossible is a waste of emotion and energy. It is far better to work on things I can change!
2. Be healthy on a more regular basis. I love going to the gym, and I generally cook pretty healthy meals for myself, but I tend to be sporadic about it. Going from an all-pizza diet to kale and egg whites and back again is just as unhealthy as a regular diet of junk. This year I really want to keep a regular workout and meal plan and allow myself cheat days.
3. Go on more adventures. I LOVE to travel, and I wish I could just visit a new place every week. But until my bank account doesn’t make me want to hide under the bed, I’m thanking god for Groupon and my generous parents for the gift of travel. I already have two trips to Israel planned, and I hope I’ll get to see some new parts of the planet as well!
4. Feed my mind. In this age of technology, people are not nearly as well-read as their parents and grandparents. I used to read every night, and I really haven’t been making the time anymore. But as soon as I pick up a good book, I remember how much I love it. So this year I’m going to make an effort to put down my phone/laptop/iPad and read at least one book every month. The local library is literally on my street, so I really have no excuse!
5. Collect memories, not things. I love shopping, and I love things, but as my dad always says, “you can’t take it with you.” Memories with the people you love are more important than anything you could ever buy in a store. I plan to declutter my life and focus on what really matters.
I’m feeling incredibly motivated, so I hope I can accomplish at least one thing on this list this year. Stay tuned, and please comment and tell me what your resolutions are!