I was born with a full head of hair. I’ve never not had a ton of hair. By the time I was three years old, I had long blonde hair down to my butt. My mom always said that it was so crazy how I looked like a mini-adult because I had so much hair. She told our nanny to put in a braid that I could wrap around my neck so it wouldn’t fall in the toilet whenever I went the bathroom!
So I’ve been dealing with thick, heavy, long hair literally forever. I had some traumatic haircuts, including a bob when I was twelve. Yeesh. I tried to flatiron the life out of it in ninth grade, gel scrunch it into ramen noodle-esque curls when I was sixteen, basically trying every possible trick to tame my lion’s mane. Only in the past five years or so have I realized that I am blessed with some pretty amazing hair genes. My hair is wavy, sometimes a little frizzy, but mostly it is great. It holds curls for days, and looks like a horse’s mane in a ponytail. I made a huge change this past winter, and cut off eight inches, resulting in a great lob. I’m growing it back out now; my friends tell me that I have mermaid hair (the ultimate compliment in my book!)
I have to take really good care of my hair, but my routine is finally pretty low-maintenance. I’ve tried a ton of styling products over the years, and have narrowed it down to the ones that work best for me. I’ve decided to change the name from Top Five to Five Favorites, so #2 here we go…
- MoroccanOil Hair Treatment – This classic Argan oil is my alternative to conditioner. I find that conditioner both weighs my hair down and makes it oilier much faster, but putting MoroccanOil in damp hair after a shower moisturizes my hair and smells so amazing. I swear, the smell is addictive!
- Living Proof Satin Hair Serum – I actually discovered this stuff in my parents’ bathroom. Usually I’m the one showing my mom new products, but this was all her! This serum makes my hair so soft and manageable, and if my word isn’t enough, the hundreds of reviews on Sephora will convince you that this is a miracle product.
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day 5-in-1 Styling Treatment – This product is a leave-in conditioner, styler, and frizz-fighter. I have a massive ton of hair, and only need a small amount of this for my entire head.
- Living Proof Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo – So 3/5 of the products on here are Living Proof, but this dry shampoo is in a league of its own. Plus, if Jennifer Aniston is in charge, you know the products are good Unlike other dry shampoos that simply absorb grease in your hair, LP’s version cleans your hair and doesn’t leave powdery buildup. It eliminates odor, sweat and grease, and lets me not wash my hair for longer stretches than I care to admit!
- L’Oreal Paris Elnett Satin Hairspray Extra Strong Hold with UV filter for Color-Treated Hair – My hair is beyond thick, so I don’t usually waste the hour it takes to curl or straighten it. But when I do, this is the hairspray that keeps my hair flawless (and not stiff) for a few days. This version of the cult classic hairspray protects my blonde hair from sun damage and as a bonus it has a really nice smell, even the next day!
I did not include any shampoos or hair masks in this list because I wanted to limit it it to the products I use every single week. I shampoo two or three times a week and try to do a hair mask once a week, but I’m not as set with those products as with my styling products! Do you guys have any product recommendations for me?